Inverness College UHI - Student Partnership
Creating an excellent experience for all.
The student partnership resource is a tool and a way to enrich and improve the student experience for everyone. Working with students as true partners is one of the key messages in working towards this goal.
This is an online resource. It has all the information, section by section, theme by theme which is put together in a way which reflects our partnership approach. Our values are the foundations and the themes with their individual aspect are what hold up the goal of an excellent student experience.
This is a reflection of our commitment to partnership working - viewing and treating all involved as experts and able partners.
At the beginning of each academic year, HISA and the college will jointly select 2-3 areas to focus on together over the course of the academic year. These areas will have specific, measurable actions to work on – things that will make a real difference to the student experience and things that are worked on in partnership.
Student Partnership video
Watch the following video to learn more about student partnership at Inverness College UHI.
What do we mean by partnership?
Partnership is a relationship between all staff and students to create an excellent experience for everyone involved. Partnership is different from listening to or consultation. The approach is about engagement through working together. Partnership is a process for developing a culture of engagement in all aspects of the student journey. Our partnership approach is a commitment to open, constructive and continuous dialogue. It means valuing all partners and treating each other as experts and able members of our learning community. This resource should be used as a tool to enrich and improve the experience for everyone at Inverness College UHI.
"We are individuals and we all have the responsibility to look after our environment, each other and take charge of our own learning and development."
- "I will maintain a positive attitude to my learning, being self-aware and considerate of others";
- "I will take responsibility to keep up to date with communications from the College and HISA".
- "I will maintain a positive attitude at work, being self-aware and considerate of others";
- "I will take responsibility to keep students up to date with up to date with any information they require".
Our collective responsibility:
- We will treat all students and staff with dignity and respect ;
- We will cooperate with all staff and students;
- We will look after our campus environment and help to maintain it as a safe, clean and welcoming place;
- We will embrace the values of Respect, Passion, Integrity and Accountability and can expect this of others.
Student Voice in Partnership
"Students and staff working positively together to find solutions to enable continuous improvement."
- I will provide feedback about my student experience through my class representative, student surveys and focus groups;
- I will work with staff in finding solutions to any issues I experience and will play a part in sharing the outcome;
- I will be aware of the role of the Students’ Association (HISA) and opportunities to have a say and get involved.
- I will direct students to any opportunities available to them to help provide feedback about their student experience;
- I will work with students in finding solutions to any issues they experience and will play a part in sharing the outcome;
- Personal Academic Tutors will oversee the selection of a class representative and be supportive of their role.
Our voice in partnership:
- We will be aware of the role of HISA and engage with and promote the students’ association to students.
"The wider aspects of being a student."
- I am entitled to regular social activities, clubs and societies organised by HISA;
- I am entitled to be a member of an engaged student association through HISA membership being provided for me;
- I am entitled to provision and choice of places to eat, drink, study and socialise with other students.
- The College will support HISA in the creation and hosting of regular social activities, clubs and societies;
- The College will support and work in partnership with HISA to improve the student experience;
- The College will provide a choice of places to eat, drink and spaces for students to socialise;
Tools for Learning
"The resources, tools and skills we use to learn and teach."
- I will take responsibility to make use of resources which I am directed to by staff;
- I will make appropriate use of equipment and resources available to support my learning and development, including any use of social media and electronic messaging services;
- I am entitled to up to date learning resources which are appropriate, accessible and fit for purpose;
- I am entitled to staff who have up to date knowledge and skills in their particular field and will help to provide an excellent student experience.
- Lecturers will make best use of appropriate resources and direct students to these;
- Lecturers will ensure that learning resources are up to date, engaging, appropriate and accessible;
- All staff will have up to date knowledge and skills in their particular field and contribute to providing an excellent student experience;
Organisation & Management
"What happens behind the scenes, to make the college run efficiently."
- I will take responsibility for my own learning by attending my classes, by being on time, and by reporting my absences appropriately and contacting relevant tutors for missed work;
- I am entitled to my timetable at least a month in advance of my course start date;
- I am entitled to a course which is well organised and run smoothly.
- The College will provide students with their timetable at least a month in advance of the course start date;
- Timetabled classes will run as scheduled and changes will only be if necessary. Any necessary changes will be explained and communicated to students as soon as possible in advance;
- The College will ensure that courses are well organised and run smoothly;
- Personal Academic Tutors will ensure that their group are welcomed to the College, enrolled on their course, and provided with an induction;
- An overview of the course including an assessment and delivery schedule, equipment required/provided will be given to students at induction, if not before.
Advice, Support & Progression
"Working with you to achieve your potential."
- I will inform Inverness College about any support needs that I have to ensure that I receive the support required (with a set point of contact) to achieve my potential;
- I will make use of any support offered to me where appropriate;
- I will take responsibility to inform an appropriate member of staff of any issues I am having with my learning so I can get support, advice and guidance when I need it;
- I am entitled to a high level of support, advice and guidance when required and at the point of need;
- I am entitled to advice and guidance on my next steps for learning and progression, development and employment throughout my course.
- All staff will provide the support required and as appropriate to enable individual students to achieve their potential;
- The College will endeavour to provide any additional support which individuals may require to ensure that learning is accessible and equitable;
- All staff will take responsibility for sign posting students to the most appropriate place for help;
- The College will provide advice and guidance on the next steps for students’ learning and progression, development and employment throughout their course.
Assessment & Feedback
"An integral part of learning and development, ensuring we have clear guidelines and expectations."
- I will take responsibility to prepare for and submit my assessments on time, to the best of my ability and ensuring they are my own work;
- I will ensure that I inform my lecturer in advance of mitigating circumstances or problems I am experiencing which may affect my performance in an assessment;
- I am entitled to know what I am being assessed on; how I will be assessed; how I will be graded; and the timing of assessments and be regularly updated about this;
- I am entitled to feedback provided on my work, which will be useful in my understanding of how to improve;
- I will act on feedback provided to me to help continually improve my work;
- I am entitled to receive feedback within 3 working weeks;
- I am entitled to be assessed as an individual.
- Lecturers will ensure that assessments are well planned, scheduled and communicated to students;
- Lecturers will ensure that students understand what they are being assessed on; how they are being assessed and graded;
- Personal Academic Tutors will discuss the Mitigating Circumstances procedure as part of the course induction;
- Lecturers will provide feedback within 3 working weeks which is useful in helping students to understand how to improve;
Learning & Teaching
"Our learning environment and how we respond to it."
- I will take responsibility for actively participating on my course and through working with my lecturer;
- I accept responsibility for my own learning and will work to the best of my ability;
- I am entitled to be appropriately challenged by my course, by my lecturers, and by peers;
- I am entitled to my course providing me with opportunities to apply what I have learnt in a way which is relevant to the related employment sectors;
- I am entitled to consideration being taken of any support needs I have and coursework adapted appropriately;
- I am entitled to teaching which is accessible and considerate of my learning style;
- I am entitled to lecturers who have an in-depth knowledge of my course and encourage my enthusiasm for the subject.
- Lecturers will work with their students to create a positive and engaging learning environment in which individuals are encouraged to achieve their potential;
- Courses will provide an appropriate level of challenge and opportunities to apply learning in a way which is relevant to the related employment sector/s;
- Lecturers will be aware of and consider any support needs individuals have;
- Lecturers will make learning accessible and considerate of different learning styles.